Northern Arizona VA Health Care System
Green Environmental Management System (GEMS)
At the Northern Arizona VA Health Care System (NAVAHCS), we want to give the highest quality health care to our Nation’s Veterans. In 2016, our GEMS Program received an award for their outstanding dedication and management of the program. Our medical center employees try to protect the environment and the health and safety of our patients, employees and visitors.
Here are some ways we are doing that:
- We use a system called Green Environmental Management System (GEMS) that
meets the President’s requirements and the rules provided by the Veterans
- We take good care of the environment by following federal, state and local
environmental laws and requirements. This includes preventing pollution, cutting
the amount of waste, and saving cultural and natural resources. It also means
always looking for ways to improve our environmental programs.
- We do our jobs in a way that reduces or does not impact our environment.
- We try to prevent pollution, cut down on our waste, and conserve our resources
- We use natural resources efficiently, and protect plant and wildlife habitats.
- We think about our environment when we build or make repairs to any part of our
- We train our staff to think about the environment while they do their jobs.
- We ask for ideas from staff, patients, visitors, and the local community about
environmental matters affecting the operation of the medical center.
The medical center’s official document on this program is available if you call
Yasmin Wood, GEMS Coordinator at 928-445-4860 ext. 6417.